Ontario tax rates and brackets

Here is a list of historical personal income tax rates and brackets for Ontario province. Use Ontario income tax calculator to check how much taxes you need to pay.

Tax rates and brackets for 2020

In 2020 tax brackets and Ontario personal basic amount were increased by 1.9%.

Basic personal amount for 2020 is $10,783.

Taxable incomeRate
from $0 to $44,7405.05%
from $44,741 to $89,4829.15%
from $89,483 to $150,00011.16%
from $150,001 to $220,00012.16%
over $220,00013.16%

Ontario surtax rates 2020

Ontario surtax brackets also were increased by 1.9% in 2020.

Payable taxRate
greater than $4,830 up to $6,18220%
over $6,18256% (20% + 36%)

Tax rates and brackets for 2019

In 2019 tax brackets and Ontario personal basic amount were increased by 2.2%.

Basic personal amount for 2019 is $10,582.

Taxable incomeRate
from $0 to $43,9065.05%
from $43,907 to $87,8139.15%
from $87,814 to $150,00011.16%
from $150,001 to $220,00012.16%
over $220,00013.16%

Ontario surtax rates 2019

Ontario surtax brackets also were increased by 2.2% in 2019

Payable taxRate
greater than $4,740 up to $6,06720%
over $6,06756% (20% + 36%)

Tax rates and brackets for 2018

In 2018 tax brackets and Ontario personal basic amount were increased by 1.5%.

Basic personal amount for 2018 is $10,354.

Taxable incomeRate
from $0 to $42,9605.05%
from $42,961 to $85,9239.15%
from $85,924 to $150,00011.16%
from $150,001 to $220,00012.16%
over $220,00013.16%

Ontario surtax rates 2018

Ontario surtax brackets also were increased by 1.5% in 2018

Payable taxRate
greater than $4,638 up to $5,93620%
over $5,93656% (20% + 36%)

The 36% surtax is in addition to the 20% surtax, for a total surtax of 56%.

Tax rates and brackets for 2017

In 2017 tax brackets and Ontario personal basic amount were increased by 1.6%.

Basic personal amount for 2017 is $10,171.

Taxable incomeRate
from $0 to $42,2015.05%
from $42,202 to $84,4049.15%
from $84,405 to $150,00011.16%
from $150,001 to $220,00012.16%
over $220,00013.16%

Ontario surtax rates 2017

Ontario surtax brackets also were increased by 1.6% in 2017

Payable taxRate
greater than $4,556 up to $5,83120%
over $5,83156% (20% + 36%)

The 36% surtax is in addition to the 20% surtax, for a total surtax of 56%.

Tax rates and brackets for 2016

In 2016 tax brackets and Ontario personal basic amount were increased by 1.5%.

Basic personal amount for 2016 is $10,011.

Taxable incomeRate
from $0 to $41,5365.05%
from $41,537 to $83,0759.15%
from $83,076 to $150,00011.16%
from $150,001 to $220,00012.16%
over $220,00013.16%

Ontario surtax rates 2016

Ontario surtax brackets also were increased by 1.5% in 2016

Payable taxRate
greater than $4,484 up to $5,73920%
over $5,73956% (20% + 36%)

The 36% surtax is in addition to the 20% surtax, for a total surtax of 56%.

Tax rates and brackets for 2015

In 2015 tax brackets and Ontario personal basic amount were increased by 2%.

Basic personal amount for 2015 is $9,863.

Taxable incomeRate
from 0 up to $40,9225.05%
from $40,922 up to $81,8479.15%
from $81,847 up to $150,00011.16%
from $150,001 up to $220,00012.16%
over $220,00013.16%

Ontario surtax rates 2015

Ontario surtax brackets also were increased by 2% in 2015

Payable taxRate
greater than $4,418 up to $5,65420%
over $5,65456% (20% + 36%)

Tax rates and brackets for 2014

In 2014 tax brackets and Ontario personal basic amount were increased by 1%.

Basic personal amount for 2014 is $9,370.

In 2014 also were changed tax brackets in Ontario province and people with earnings between $150,000 and $220,000 have tax rate increase from 11.16% to 12.16%.

Taxable incomeRate
from 0 up to $40,1205.05%
from $40,121 up to $80,2429.15%
from $80,243 up to $150,00011.16%
from $150,001 up to $220,00012.16%
over $220,00013.16%

Ontario surtax rates 2014

Ontario surtax brackets also were increased by 1% in 2014

Payable taxRate
greater than $4,331 up to $5,54320%
over $5,54356% (20% + 36%)

Tax rates and brackets for 2013

In 2013 Ontario provincial government increased all tax brackets by 1.8% and tax rate for income over $509,000 was increased from 12.16% to 13.16%.

Taxable incomeRate
from 0 up to $39,7235.05%
from $39,724 up to $79,4489.15%
from $79,449 up to $509,00011.16%
over $509,00013.16%

Ontario surtax rates 2013

Ontario surtax brackets also were increased by 1.8% in 2013

Payable taxRate
greater than $4,289 up to $5,48920%
over $5,48956%

Tax rates and brackets for 2012

In 2012 Ontario government introduced another income bracket for income over $500,000 and now there are four income brackets in Ontario:

Taxable incomeRate
from 0 up to $39,0205.05%
from $39,021 up to $78,0439.15%
from $78,044 up to $500,00011.16%
over $500,00012.16%

Besides provincial taxes there is surtax (i.e. tax on tax) in Ontario:

Payable taxRate
greater than $4,213 up to $5,39220%
over $5,39256%